The mission of Kingsbridge Heights Community Center (KHCC) is to provide resources to empower Bronx residents from cradle to career to advance education and well-being for a vibrant community. We achieve this in an environment that fosters academic milestones, literacy, mental health support, nutrition, technology, and the arts.
We are inviting community members and professionals throughout the New York City area to join us in our work by serving as a member of the Board of Directors.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Our 14 Board Members represent diverse fields, backgrounds, and talents, reflecting our community. The Board consists of corporate and industry leaders, educators, community residents, and parents. These members have legal and fiduciary responsibilities, provide governance, lead strategy for the agency and help the agency navigate challenging issues.
The Board is responsible for:
- Determining the mission and purposes of the organization
- Selecting and evaluating the performance of the CEO/ executive director
- Strategic and organizational planning
- Ensuring strong fiduciary oversight and financial management
- Fundraising and resource development
- Approving and monitoring KHCC’s programs and services
- Enhancing KHCC’s public image
- Assessing its own performance as the governing body of KHCC
Board members are expected to:
- Know KHCC’s mission, policies, programs, and needs
- Faithfully read and understand the organization’s financial statements
- Serve as active advocates and ambassadors for the organization and fully engage in identifying and securing the financial resources and partnerships necessary for KHCC to advance its mission
- Encourage deeper understanding of the agency, its staff and participants, volunteer five (5) hours per year which can be accrued by your involvement in class/program activities, attending program events, agency fundraising events, Neighborhood Festival, Federal/State/City/UNH training and reviews and/or assist with acquiring resources
- Prepare for, attend, and conscientiously participate in board meetings
- Regularly attend at least 75% of board and committee meetings either in person or by phone (5 total in-person meetings a year, monthly board calls, retreat(s)
- Be involved in at least one committee and contribute to and regularly attend such committee meetings
- Seek to recruit new Board Members who have skills that will help KHCC, while forming a more well-rounded, diverse, inclusive and versatile board
- Record and submit monthly in-kind contributions and comply with training and obligatory requirements
Member committees to help advance strategy and operational priorities of the agency include facilities, personnel, development, audit, finance, program, and executive.
Resource raising responsibilities include:
- Help identify personal connections that can benefit the organization’s fundraising and reputational standing and can influence public policy
- Support fundraising efforts by identifying potential financial resources, developing in-kind donations to the organization, providing access to new contacts, and actively participating in outreach
- Make a personally significant annual contribution (the recommendation is give/get $5,000) ensuring 100% financial participation by the board
- Attend the annual dinner and/or one other fundraising event annually and invite at least five individuals to attend
- Represent and promote the visibility and increase awareness of KHCC in the community, at business events, with colleagues, and with family and friends